Friday, August 17, 2012

RAMADAN EPILOGUE: The GOOD, The 'BAD'- and ....oh yes, The FUNNY


30 days have come and gone: the amount of time that most self-help books proclaim to ‘work’ getting one into a new habit. No coincidences here. Well, like a good student I have been taught to make lists of pros and cons, do research, draw meaning, come to concise conclusions, invite debate and that’s what I propose to do in this closing segment.

The GOOD:
I have a huge sense of pride in accomplishing my task fully.

I was given ample opportunities for soul-searching and meaningful dialogue with peers and strangers alike. My sense of community got reawakened as did the need to participate more actively in the pursuit of interfaith, inter community activities.

I learned how to cook a variety of delightful dishes and opened up my palette to new and exciting culinary possibilities.

Made new friends from across the globe, in places I never had any: like Syria, Lebanon, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Indonesia to name a few.
Reconnected with old friends and found our bond to be strong, even after many years of absence from each others lives.

Downloaded the Quran App, and however imperfect the translated text may be, the audio incantations are soothing. They reminded me of the time spend at my grandmother’s house during summer holidays, when I would often be woken up with that same haunting sound from a nearby mosque.
The script if beautiful to look at too!

The ‘BAD’:

I saw my whole routine of existence disrupted and all of my insecurities, fears and ‘locked in’ ideas hit me in the face more than once. Fasting will do that to one.

A rampant debate with myself erupted about whether I was still honoring my culture and upbringing while adhering and observing the traditions and tenants of another.

I came on a ‘head to head’ collision with “pork abstaining” persons about the current validity of their belief, having been raised to fear no meat! (I am trying to appease myself with the thought that if every person on the planet ate every type of meat, there would be a lot more species in the endangered species list)

My internal feminist-watch committee argued constantly about my scarf wearing days, and whether I was with my participation in some way condoning something I am against, namely the repression and inequality faced by most women in the Muslim world.

I had a painful realization I am a “victim” to my own prejudices, ignorance and substance addictions (cigarettes!), Judo-Christian ingrained fears and confusion about how to be free of it all.

The FUNNY:

I misplaced my keys, glasses, wallet etc on a regular basis as a temporary form of dementia took over my ‘over-organized’ life with comical, often frustrating, and overall hilarious results.

I got to understand the daily use of the term ‘Inshallah’ in a very funny context: loosely quoting comic Rame Salame here: ‘Maybe Attending’ on Facebook is the equivalent of Inshallah for the average Middle Eastern person :)

On my second visit to the mosque, after carefully preparing what I was going to wear, how soon I needed to be there and how to properly say ‘Hello’ in Arabic, I forgot to put on panties!
Thank god the skirt is long and there is no body scanner at the entrance…so much for being appropriate and respectful.

Choked on dates and Ayran almost daily.

Learned what the actual meaning of the word ‘Jihad’ is: in short, struggle. I can now launch an “Autocorrect App” for both Mac and Android devices to prevent people from using the term incorrectly ( meaning “war against” or “terror attack”) and make millions of dollars to fund my own personal Jihad against IGNORANCE!

Postscript:
“Not that I know of!” is the answer to anyone wanting to ask me if I am converting to Islam.
“I may” is the answer to whether I will be doing Ramadan next year.
“Undecided, Inshallah!” my answer to whether this was successful.




No comments:

Post a Comment