Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Power Of Words

We have all heard before, in one manner or another, how words- whether thought of, spoken or written down- have enormous energy. A capacity to alter, motivate, instigate and propagate a slew of emotions, reactions and most importantly, actions.
Recognizing the validity of this notion in my life I am constantly making efforts to be mindful, watchful and accurate in my choice of words. Both the ones I utter or think of, and the ones I consume.
As a result, I have more free time. I do not watch TV or read newspapers and I am monitoring the kind of content I listen to and view online. Also I am more peaceful, for a talker like myself. The interludes of silence, when I realize I have nothing to say, are most welcomed. Not just by myself , but mostly from the people in my circle. For them, I guess, a respite from my mindless chatter, was long overdue. It also allows for space for them to share what is on their minds.

Most recently, this new understanding and practice, has afforded me the luxury of pondering some amendments to phrases and adages of the English language.
Here's a sample:
Old Expression                                                          Amendment
* If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again!         * If at first you don't succeed, do, do, do again!
* Revenge is a dish best served cold                          * Revenge is a dish that needs washing
* Fall in love, (falling in love)                                      * Rise in love (rising in love)
* Practice makes perfect                                           * Practice makes better
* " Let's grow old together!"                                      * " Let's grow bold (bald) together!"

Please feel free to share your takes and amendments to phrases or sayings you believe are in grave need of a facelift!

No comments:

Post a Comment