Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Mission: A Greek Orthodox by default chooses to observe the thirty day celebration of the Holy Month of Ramada

 I have had the rare privilege and joy to partake in the celebration of Ramadan many years ago, while working at a Middle Eastern restaurant in the East Village. Aside from the dishwasher, (a funny man from Ecuador-I believe) and a couple of others, most everyone was observing Ramadan in the heat of a brutal New York August. With no AC, brick oven pipping hot pitas every other minute and 35 tables to feed, it was a feat of Herculean proportions. But when the sweaty, often foul smelling workers broke fast, milk and dates was their reward and  'opening ceremony ' for a night of abundant food, drink and joviality. A "party" like no other, where jokes, story telling, camaraderie and deep appreciation for ones lot in life were the all night fare for 30 glorious days and nights! I was young in years and even younger to NY and that first exposure to the culture, customs and tradition of a people I hardly knew, only skimmed the surface.


The year before, working as a nanny for one of the most generous and loving families, aside from own, I got to celebrate all major Jewish Holidays as a member of their clan, not just as 'hired help', but as the girl they had entrusted with the care of their six month old daughter.


 I found no difficulty in sharing and appreciating either of the traditions, purpose and practices mentioned above; in fact, a kind of knowing became available to me:

Are we THAT different?


Aside from texts, languages, outward manifestations and places of worship, I was hard pressed to see any serious divide between religions.
I am certain that Theologians, pundits, politicians and "Big Brothers" everywhere will contest and argue this point till their mouths and hands bleed!
But I REFUSE to take their word, however 'educated', over my first hand account of living and sharing with people who, just like my family and myself, choose to look upward and inward, ask and mostly listen for clues about what this so called 'LIFE' is all about.


I choose to worship (wo)man and (her)his deep desire to connect with the divine in whatever shape or form he(she) chooses; come together with family, friends and strangers, cook, pray, share, eat and be merry; open my heart and mind and feel the AWE of bounty unimaginable, LOVE unattached from petty divides and ego trips.


Maybe it is because I was born Greek and the word for human is "Anthropos"-the one who looks UP. Maybe it runs in my soul's DNA to absorb, assimilate and create anew, as my ancestors did. Maybe, it is because I am a woman, and GROWTH, LOVE and a sustainable FUTURE for the children I may or may not have is my BIRTHRIGHT.


Or maybe it is because: "I" am a "WE" that LOVES!

No comments:

Post a Comment